For information about breast health and other women’s health topics
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- In addition to being a resource for healthcare professionals, ACOG’s website features a physician directory and a Patient Page containing dozens of educational pamphlets regarding breast health and other women’s health topics.
- A breast cancer and women’s health resource, providing reliable, in-depth information on breast cancer and related women’s health issues. Within its thousands of pages of physician-edited information, Imaginis explains complicated medical terms in everyday language to assist patients in making informed decisions.
- The National Women’s Health Information Center
- The vision of The National Women’s Health Information Center is to ensure that “All Women and Girls are Healthier and Have a Better Sense of Well Being.” Its mission is to “provide leadership to promote health equity for women and girls through sex/gender-specific approaches.” The strategy OWH uses to achieve its mission and vision is through the development of innovative programs, by educating health professionals, and motivating behavior change in consumers through the dissemination of health information.
- National Women’s Health Week
- National Women’s Health Week empowers women across the country to get healthy by taking action. National Women’s Health Week will kick off on Mother’s Day, May 11, 2008 and will be celebrated until May 17, 2008. The nationwide initiative, coordinated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office on Women’s Health (OWH), encourages women to make their health a top priority and take simple steps for a longer, healthier and happier life.
For information about breast cancer
- The National Cancer Institute
- The National Cancer Institute’s website provides accurate, up-to-date information about many types of cancer, information about clinical trials, resources for people dealing with cancer, and information for researchers and health professionals.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. This website features extensive patient-oriented information about breast health and breast cancer research as well as opportunities to get involved in networking and fundraising.
For more information on breast imaging techniques
- Patient information about radiologic procedures and the role of radiologists in healthcare. Concise, accurate descriptions of diagnostic, interventional and therapeutic radiology procedures, how each is performed, and what patients might experience.
Braddock, Suzanne W., et al. Straight Talk about Breast Cancer: From Diagnosis to Recovery. Omaha, NE: Addicus Books, 2002.
Carlson, Karen J., Stephanie A. Eisenstat, Terra Ziporyn. The Harvard Guide to Women’s Health. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1996.
Hughes, L.E., R.E. Mansel, and D.J.T. Webster. Benign Disorders and Diseases of the Breast: Concepts and Clinical Management. 2nd edition. London: W.B. Saunders, 2000.
Kneece, Judy C. Solving the Mystery of Breast Pain. Columbia, SC: EduCare Publishing, 1996.
Marchant, Douglas J. Breast Disease. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1997.
Journal Articles about Fibrocystic Breast Disease
Gateley CA, Mansel RE. Management of cyclical breast pain. Br J Hosp Med 1990; 43:330-2.
Gumm R, Cunnick GH, Mokbel K. Evidence for the management of fibrocystic breast disease. Curr Med Res Opin 2004; 20(5):681-4.
Hughes LE, Mansel RE, Webster DJ. Aberrations of normal development and involution (ANDI): a new perspective on pathogenesis and nomenclature of benign breast disorders. Lancet 1987; 2(8571):1316-9.
Sitruk-Ware R, Sterkers N, Mauvais-Jarvis P. Benign breast disease I: Hormonal investigation. Obstet Gynecol 1979; 53(4): 457-60.
Vaidyanathan L, Barnard K, Elnicki DM. Benign Breast Disease: when to treat, when to reassure, when to refer. Cleve Clin J Med 2002; 69(5):425-32.
Wang DY, Gentian IS. Epidemiology and endocrinology of benign breast disease. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1985; 6(1):5-36.